The BC Wildfire Service has announced five controlled burns in the Bulkley Fire Zone that will be taking place between September 26th and October 28th.
They say smoke may be visible from Smithers, Telkwa, and surrounding areas.
The five burns will be:
- Driftwood Road area: BCWS will be supporting the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure with firefighting personnel to burn four piles of wood debris. The piles are located at the Driftwood gravel pit, near to the Driftwood Provincial Park.
- Call Lake Provincial Park: BCWS will burn two hand built piles of wood debris as part of a multi-year FireSmart project in the area.
- Chapman Road: BCWS will burn multiple hand built piles as part of an ongoing fuels management project.
- Old Babine Lake Road: BCWS will burn several hand built piles near Ganokwa Creek created from weather station clearing.
- Twin Falls Recreation Site: BCWS will be supporting Recreation Sites and Trails BC with firefighting personnel to burn several hand built piles from clearing at the Twin Falls Recreation Site.
These controlled burns are to leave less fuel for any potential future wildfires.