The Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako (RDBN) has issued an evacuation alert for all properties accessed through the intersection of 22nd Avenue and Columbia Street in Smithers.
The alert was issued to prepare residents to evacuate their premises if found necessary.
Those impacted will be given as much warning as possible, however, conditions may change rapidly and residents may receive limited notice.
PREPARATION FOR EVACUATION ORDER:
- Monitoring your local radio station and the RDBN website
- Locating all family members or co-workers and plan to meet at the designated Reception Centre outside the evacuation area, should an evacuation be called
- Gathering essential items such as medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (i.e. insurance), immediate care needs for dependants and, if you choose, keepsakes (photographs, etc)
- Have items available for quick departure
- Arranging accommodation for your family if possible
- In the event of an evacuation, a Reception Centre will be opened
- Preparing to move any disabled persons and/or children
- Moving pets and livestock to a safe area
- Arranging to transport your household members or co-workers in the event of an evacuation order
- Residents are reminded that flood waters may contaminate shallow wells and other water sources
- If your well has been flooded, assume the water in your home has been contaminated
- If water is contaminated, bottled water is the best choice for drinking water
- If you use a septic field and it has been flooded, please be sure the floodwater has drained well below the level of the distribution trenches before you begin using it
For more information, you can click here.
If you need transportation assistance from the area, you are asked to call (250) 692-3195, or 1 (800) 320-3339.
Earlier today, a flood warning advisory was issued for those same residents.